Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Day 20 - Kiev tour

I am so blessed by our church family (at home and in Kiev!)! Natasha and Dasha took me on a tour of Kiev's attractions. We first took a walk to the bus, then down 2 flights of stairs to the Metro. At this time it was about 8 degrees F. I have been on Atlanta's Marta only once, during the Atlanta Olympic Games in 1996. I am a little sheltered I guess. The Metro was quite an experience! There were vendors on the M, one selling calendars, another selling bookmarks which magnified print, and another selling LED flashlights. After a rocking ride, we arrived at our destination. We hopped off (quickly or you'll get shut in the door!) and took a **4 minute** ride on the escalator (much faster than our typical mall escalator) to the surface. Dasha told me that there are varying depths of the M - depending on what stop you choose. We were DEEP! I am not good with distance, but I am guessing at that speed & 4 minutes' time that we were at least 150 feet under Kiev!

The Good Lord has taught me the true meaning of cold today. We were greeted at the top of the M with brisk wind & frigid temperatures. Ice was in the air. Natasha & Dasha showed me several famous landmarks - Motherland (photo1), WW2 Memorial (photo 2), Afghanistan War Memorial, a Memorial to all the people who starved to death under USSR rule (photo 3), and Lava church (in the background of photo 3).



I tried as best I could to take photos, but my hands didn't want to work! My feet were as blocks of ice & I was not sure they were still attached to my ankles. I can now understand why many of the ladies here wear platform stiletto heels - to keep their feet as far away from the cold pavement as possible!!! I told Natasha & Dasha that the Ukrainian people are very strong to survive this cold (and it isn't even winter yet!). We then took the M to the nearest McDonalds. Just like America, with a few exceptions: they serve hot tea, they wear jeans with a McD's "M" on the back pocket - nice touch, and theladies who clean up the dining area wear very tight red skirts, white shirt with a vest, and heels. They almost look like airline attendants. Just outside the M, I saw this wonderful idea - the coffee bar/car combination! For you coffee lovers, this is the perfect ride for you!


I am truly happy and joyous (though I wish my family could be with me). The pain and cold in my feet is subsiding. I am in my bed (Yulia forced me), under the covers with a heater next to me, comfort food, and I'm on my 3rd cup of hot tea.
If you are concerned that I may be bored, no worries. I am content. It is well with my soul.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Tamara, I am Lois Douglass and we signed up to follow your blog (we are dougli6, my husband is Mark). We are in the process of adopting Nikita from Ola's class, and it has been a joy to follow your progress. Right now is a tough time because we just learned there is a vote going up before parliament that would stop all adoptions to the US after 2010. Your words on older posts during times of trial have been an enormous comfort to me. We do serve an amazing God and He is worthy to be praised in every situation. We are rejoicing that your process is nearly complete and we pray all goes well and you will be home for Christmas soon!
    God bless you! Lois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're experiencing the same cold we have. TONS of snow today in Sumy. I am now a chain-drinker of hot tea ;) Hang in there - the end is in sight for you and Ola !!

    ReplyDelete