Travel – Days 1-2
What a wonderful few days we have had! Our journey began about 7am Friday morning; getting up and ready, saying good-bye to the children & my Mom, driving to the airport & watching Robert & Kathy drive away. All incredibly difficult, but the Peace of God which passes all understanding was overwhelming! I do not worry, I do not fret. I am so thankful God has answered prayers for us to have a good & safe trip and for peace. While in flight I looked out into the great expanse and saw God’s beautiful creation. What a mighty God we serve! Our flights were uneventful; we had a quiet trip for the most part. When we got to Germany I realized how tiny of a box I have lived in. I so wish I could speak to these people! The flight attendants spoke to me in German (I look very German I suppose) and I really was disappointed that I couldn’t talk to them. When we landed in Kiev, it was the same. I really wish I knew Russian! And I forgot my Russian notebook which has all the helpful conversational stuff.
We have an apartment just off the downtown Independence Square in Kiev. It is beautiful here (if you look). I was sad to see an old lady sitting on the steps begging for money. I realized too that this is everywhere – even America. Everyone here dresses very trendy – much different than the town in GA where folks go to Wal-Mart in their PJs and slippers. Up to the knee (or higher) boots with 4 inch heels or so on these rough streets is amazing to watch. Skinny jeans, blingy tops, and leather coats (even though the weather is GREAT – sixtys or so)! Now I can understand why Ola was a little bored with the t-shirts and tennis shoes...
Denton was my entertainment for this evening. He had bad jet lag, so he took a pill for sleeping. My amusement began. He was leaving the kitchen and said, "Whoa, I have got to go sit down" I then heard shuffling of feet and banging against the wall. When I got out of the bathroom, I found Denton passed out in the bed with his sermon notes on his belly. He was snoring. This is about 6:30pm. Normally a light sleeper, he didn't budge when I walked across the floors that squeek with each step. He was still snoozing when I removed his pen and papers from his chest. More squeeking & sleeping husband. Wow, that is powerful stuff. To my delight Denton woke up for a few minutes to entertain me. He was like a drunk college kid. Stumbling around, slurred speech, the whole bit. He had been hallucinating he told me. He though he was talking to his Mom and Dad about his sermon. He bumped along the wall in the living area, talked crazy sentences; I begged him to go to bed before he hurt himself. He said he was fine (I was laughing so hard). Finally he went back to bed. I'll try to get video next time:)
Thanks for the laughs!
No comments:
Post a Comment